Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Board of Regents Meeting August 22, 2008

Some Important topics of discussion for this Friday's meeting:
-Approving a request to be sent to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for construction of the new campus building at the Dallas Parkland Institute of Health Sciences ($55,500,000)

-Approving a cooperative Ph.D. in Nursing Science between TWU and Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi

-Approving of the Tuberculosis Screening Policy (last approved 1997)

So, last Friday I attended the finance and audits committee meeting in Dallas to listen and discuss the proposals for the upcoming budget. Wow, was that a learning experience. Not only did I slowly become desensitized to the word "million", but I learned so much about how the university's budget works. It seems that it all comes back to enrollment. When enrollment increases, the budget increases, salaries increase, and so forth.

During the faculty development day this past Monday I helped hand out flyers and had the pleasure to hear our Chancellor and President, Dr. Ann Stuart, address the faculty about the enrollment numbers so far.

Enrollment to date is in positive numbers, but is reaching short of the projected goal. With enrollment not on levels hoped for, faculty salaries have become "softened." Each professor received a 2% increase in pay in the new budget, while those receiving tenure received even more. Dr. Stuart expressed that faculty raises will be adjusted mid-year at November's meeting by directing all money brought in by the total increases in enrollment (which are now estimated at 2-3% enrollment growth) towards faculty paychecks. Better faculty pay is great for professors, but what does this mean to students? You tell me. In my opinion, the better our professors are paid the better education I recieve. It's like paying more for an organic apple--better quality comes at a higher price.

I wonder if this raise in pay to our professors will pay back in making sure that the students stay and graduate. Step 1 is enrolling, step 2 staying, step3 graduating. I think this is a positive announcement, but please let me know what effect you think this will bring.

I have been very busy, to elaborate my exhaustion--I just fell asleep sitting up in a chair 5 minutes ago.

More later, I promise!

Scarlett Pope
Student Regent
Texas Woman's University
scarlettpope@hotmail.com

No comments: