Wednesday, July 2, 2008

How does it feel to be the new regent?

In a word: great!

It's like winning the Superbowl, and if I could go to Disney World, I would.

Really though, it's an amazing and humbling honor to be able to represent the students' voice on the Board of Regents. It is also an amazing challenge, but I am up to the task. I am excited and happy to work hard on behalf of the students here at TWU.


Board of Regents 101
(Summed up from the TWU Web site):

There are 10 people on the Board of Regents, all of whom are appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the senate. TWU specifies that 4 of the 9 regents be women. The 10th regent (me) is a student who is not allowed to vote or be counted in a quorum. Regular regents are appointed for 6 years, while the student regent is appointed for 1 year.
To see all members on the Board of Regents go here.


What do Regent Members do?
"The Board may adopt such policies, rules and regulations for the management of the affairs of Texas Woman's University as the conduct of the business may require, but such policies, rules and regulations shall not be inconsistent with the Bylaws or the laws of the State of Texas. (V.T.C.A., Education Code, 167; 107.41 et seq.) "


What does the Student Regent do?
I have all the same responsibilities as other regents with the exception of voting and being counted in a quorum. The role is relatively new, with me being the third student regent ever appointed to the board in its 102-year history.

In addition to speaking on certain issues that are up for a vote and reading the agenda material before board meetings, I am taking full responsibility to represent my peers on and off campus. In other words, the student regent, in my eyes, is a role model. If you look at the past two student regents, this is quite obvious to see through their excellent academic records and demonstrated student leadership.

The student regent has unique opportunities to network with successful leaders on and off this campus. Just recently I was invited to the Texas Women's Hall of Fame Luncheon at the Dallas Country Club. The guest list was made up of successful Dallas women who had been inducted in the Texas Women's Hall of Fame, and TWU regents. It was a truly inspiring luncheon to be sitting to the right of renowned artist Amanda Dunbar. To my left, the equally inspiring doctor of internal medicine, best-selling author, and long term cancer survivor Wendy Schlessel Harpham. The conversations were simply fascinating, and the food wasn't bad either :)

At the end of the luncheon, TWU Chancellor Dr. Ann Stuart insisted that I speak about my experiences in Haiti. What a wonderful opportunity! And, I came ready with a small photo album in my purse so that everyone could see what I meant when I said "I worked with biosand water filters." It was great to be able to share my experiences with such an accomplished audience.


Photos from the Texas Women's Hall of Fame Luncheon:



The lovely set up.


Well, thus concludes my first blog as your new student regent. I will be updating on July 15th with pictures of my inauguration ceremony in my hometown of Grapevine.


Everyone is invited to attend, it will be on held on July 15th at 5p.m. on the steps of the Grapevine City Hall located on 200 S. Main St. Grapevine, Texas 76051. Grapevine Mayor William D. Tate will be administering the oath of office to me, so I am really excited!



**Also, I will have some important news about the Texas Public Policy Foundation's recent suggestions put forth to Texas universities from the Higher Education Summit that took place on May 21st. This is something that I will need student feedback on, since I will be making remarks on it at the next board meeting. So come back again on July 15th!


Yours truly,
Scarlett Pope
Student Regent
Texas Woman's University

No comments: